Friday, February 5, 2010

SSH Tunnel Manager Troubleshooting

I've been using Tynsoe's SSH Tunnel Manager application for years on OSX 10.4 (tiger) -- it's a great product!  
Now that I've upgraded to OSX 10.5 (leopard) I've had some trouble getting my tunnels back up and running.

Here's how I got it working:

First off, Yann Bizeul, says you should use v2 beta, it works better than 1.x.
But with v2 beta, when I try to connect I get the following repeating action:
...
2/4/10 8:42:48 AM SSH Tunnel Manager[14228] START: Home Tunnel
2/4/10 8:42:48 AM SSH Tunnel Manager[14228] START: Home Tunnel
2/4/10 8:42:49 AM SSH Tunnel Manager[14228] STOP: Home Tunnel
2/4/10 8:42:49 AM SSH Tunnel Manager[14228] START: Home Tunnel
...
The best way to troubleshoot my issue was to select SSH Tunnel > Configuration > Options...
From there I cut and paste the "Command Line" into a shell prompt.  This allowed to see my error more easily.

I had two problems:

1) Host and Login values were switched.  Dunno if this was my error, or if this happened when I upgraded from 1.0.3 (prolly it was me)
2) "Handle authentication" option was prompting me to "Enter passphrase for key X" even though the key I was using had none.  Turning off this option got things working.

Thanks Tynsoe for a great product! 

No comments: